GIT Workshop 2014
|GIT Workshop 2014|
Hands-On GIT Workshop in two or more parts which will make your life easy and may save your ass.
- Commiting, Diffing, Reverting, Tags
- Branches, Merging and Conflicts
- Remotes, Github, Forking, Pull-Requests
- Working together within a repository and across repos
- Contributing to open source projects
- Workflows for teams and dev->testing->production environments
- Stashing, Sqashing, Rebasing, Submodules
More Topic Ideas
- Issue tracking
- Code reviews with Gerrit, integrating Jenkins CI
- Automatic code-style checks at
- Using blame accross merged branches
- < YOUR TOPIC IDEA >
It's a command-line oriented workshop where all hands will get dirty! We celebrate failure and are going to have fun.
Every skill level from is welcome! We'll start on Tue, 27.5.2014 (19:00) and see how and where we progress; primarily based on your interests, experiences and current projects/needs.
All seats for evening 1 are now allocated. If you'd also like to attend a part-1 session but have not yet submitted a pull request (see task 1), please do so asap, and we'll organize a second evening where we repeat the part-1 session.
- You are somewhat familiar with the terminal/command line
- You have
git-coreinstalled (can run
gitin the command line)
- You added yourself to the participants (further down)
- You have an account at Github
- You tried task 1
A quick and easy task to get you started! It's only about attempting! If you run into problems, it still counts as an attempt (just send me a message).
- Fork or clone the workshop repository and make a change (change literally anything). See also the Github Guides and Bootcamp
- Send me a pull-request or a patch, either on Github or to chris [at] linuxuser.at
+1 for your contribution!
Protip for the super lazy: you can fork the repo, edit a file, and submit a pull request all without leaving the Github website. [try the command line first :)]
When / Where
- Part 1: Tue, 27.5.2014, 19:00, Hauptraum **(all seats for this evening are now allocated)**
- Part 2: Tue, 10.6.2014, 19:00, Hauptraum
Attempt task 1 to get a green check. If you don't have a wiki account, just send me a pull request and i'll add you.
- zerocity ✔
- wizard23 ✔
- stereotype ✔
- cygenb0ck ✔
- luto ✔
- derLukers ✔
- Maria ✔
- reox ✔
- pl ✔
- VT100 ✔
- Pavel ✔
- jaeh ✔
- queltos ✔
- berq ✔
- 0x746f6d ✔
- m68k ✔
- kay ✔
- Hetti ✔
- qubit23 ✔
# Possibly useful Git aliases for your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile alias g='git' alias gs='git status | more' alias ga='git add ' alias gb='git branch ' alias gc='git commit' alias gcnv="git commit --no-verify" alias gd='git diff' alias go='git checkout ' alias gl='git log' alias gh='git log --pretty=format:"%h %ad | %s%d [%an]" --graph --date=short'
Just a collection of links for the curious, not required reading :)
- Branching / Deployment models: Github Flow, Git-Flow
- Semantic Versioning: http://semver.org
- http://gitimmersion.com/ [guide]
- http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/ [guide]