The owner of Arc-Computer sent us five Freepads for free!
Before using the Freepads the first time, please make sure the battery is connected to Freepad Motherboard (otherwise, you'll only be able to use it while being connected to the power adapter). To connect the battery you'll need to turn it upside down, unscrew the top three screws and connect the battery to the mainboard.
- x86 compatible "Geode"-Microcontroller (National Semiconductor, 166 MHz)
- 16 MByte FlashROM / 32 MByte Maincache
- Smartcard Reader on COM1.
- Audio-In, Audio-Out (Process "audiod" is locking the audio device, kill it to use it yourself)
- Microphone, Stereospeakers
- Touchscreen (800x600 resolution?)
- Nano-X (vormals 'Microwindows') as Display System
- Opera as Browser
- ae as editor
The default Dashboard is customizable in an XML file, most of the config files are in /config.
FreePad is developed in a joint effort beetween the Norwegian company Screen Media AS and the German company Dosch & Amand Gmbh Main subcontracted companies: Opera Software (browser engine) Inventec (production) Please look to www.screenmedia.no www.dosch-amand.com www.operasoftware.com
discontinued websites via the waybackmachine:
Heise Newsticker, 11.12.2000, German
have the hackpad™:
- as input/stats device on the RepRap machine
- as interactive MetaDoor device
- as mobile webdevice
- as great system control (turn lights/music/etc. on/off)
- as VoIP phone (DECT + DECT-PCI-VoIP device)
Root Access (local)
Root-Access on an Out-Of-The-Box Freepad:
- connect USB-Keyboard
- turn the device on
- wait until the webbrowser has loaded
- CTRL-ALT-F2 will bring up the shell - you are root!
You may switch between the default Nano-X Window Manager on CTRL-ALT-F1, to two shells residing on CTRL-ALT-F2 and CTRL-ALT-F3