Libreboot and Replicant Workshop
I've talked to some people in Metalab, and presented what Technoethical (https://technoethical.com/) does - mainly replacing the proprietary BIOS on compatible ThinkPad laptops with Libreboot, and installing Replicant on compatible Samsung phones, and how through this we have found a way to earn a living while still working on libre technologies.
See more info here about the projects we use:
Related to this, we want to promote libre software and compatible hardware more, and to collaborate with people in hackerspaces and event organizers, to deliver workshops there.
Since I (Florentin) come regularly (a few times a year) to Vienna, we thought of organizing Libreboot (Coreboot) and Replicant workshops in Metalab.
- Tue., 10.7.2018, 19:00
(I will also be in Metalab on Mon., 09.7.2018, evening)
What the workshop would be
Libreboot - Libre replacement for BIOS:
- hardware compatibility & downloading the right image
- getting to know the tools and the targets
- flashing the chip where the BIOS is stored, using flashrom, an external SPI programmer and a clip (or soldered wires)
- setting up the GRUB payload by modifying grub.cfg in the CBFS, using cbfstool
Replicant - Libre replacement for the phones' main OS:
- flashing a recovery image, using heimdall (for Samsung phones)
- installing a system zip from Recovery, using a micro USB cable
- connecting to Internet with an external WiFi adapter that has libre driver+firmware
- talking about future development, external bluetooth, external GPS, DIY phones, etc.
A list of those interested.
- Your name goes here