The Hackers Guide To The Metalab
This page is a draft.
A long (maybe even up to 8 hours) workshop about the Metalab and what you can do there. The workshop will start with a presentation. After that there will be a tour that consists of checkpoints for specific pieces of equipment (e.g: laser cutter, 3D printer...). At each checkpoint a hacker will explain what can be done with the equipment and show it in action with a small example. I'd like to have a fixed time table for when a piece of equipment will be explained so people can choose to only attend checkpoints they are specifically interested in.
In essence I'd like the workshop to make people understand what hacking is and how they can do it themselves at the Metalab. An additional desired effect is that attendees get in touch with a bunch of skilled lab people. And last but not least i think an introduction to history, culture and rules of the Metalab is a very good idea to do right at the start, so people can catch the spirit and know what to expect from the Metalab as well as what is expected of them.
The presentation and people interested in holding parts of it (just add yourself even if someone already showed interest)
- What is considered hacking at the Metalab: amir
- Short history of the Metalab
- Overview of past and present activities in the Metalab
- Overview of the equipment at the Metalab
- Examples of hacks based on that equipment
- Introduction to culture and rules: amir
Checkpoints and people interested in hosting them (just add yourself even if someone already showed interest)
- Laser cutter: amir
- 3D printer
- CNC Router: reox
- Vinyl Cutter: redplanet
- Electronics equipment
- Lathe: ripper
- 3D Scanner: anlumo
What we need
- People willing to take over a checkpoint
- Very public advertising (like MetaStage)
- Coordination of the time table
End of January 2019? Later?