Lock down all the things #1
I know this is a complicated topic, but I would like to start a constructive discussion on how to handle misuse of equipment.
Context: Recently, after wrong use of the cuttr, somebody suggested to implement an iButton authentication, similar to Lazzzorauth. Uniq is also pondering on what to do, since his Ultimaker is left broken most of the time. Also there are two new machines becoming available soon: The CNC-Machine and the 3D Scanner.
Is there a technical solution to this? Will we end up with LDAP and iButton for every PC and device? Will more signage help? Will a change of policy help? Will educating people help? How do other Hackingspaces deal with this? What should we do?
There will be a task force meeting on Thursday, 28.03.2013, 20:00 at Metalab, WhatEverLab to explore possible solutions.
Proposed solutions for some problems
- Talk to people, sell chores in a positive way.
- Organize more tool related workshops for education.
- Document those workshops
- Create stencils for all the tools. Number tools and their places.
- Install cameras, because Metalab is a stage.
- Found a Ministry of Truth,because "A clean Metalab is a happy Metalab"
- Create a "Free for visitors" token box
- Store tools in a central place
- Label tools and their places
- Write tourguidelines
- Create Visitor token box (TedX)
- Create Propaganda Posters
Lock down all the things #2
Wiki spam bots are giving us a hard time. Let's find out a way to battle them.
There will be a task force meeting on Thursday, 11.04.2013, 20:00 at Metalab to explore possible solutions.