This is the Installation guide for Centric CRM.
Have fun - MM, Dataphone Ltd., 2007-08-09
Deploy Centric CRM, Community edition
The Centric CRM application is distributed in public license for:
- Enterprise Edition (Stable release - precompiled WAR file, FREE - limited for 5 users, recent v4.1.2 2007-05-21)
- Community Edition (source code free for download, v4.1.3 2007-06-04)
This Wiki deals about 2nd option, where exists no limits for number of users.
- user registration at
Centric CRM, goto "Community" section and then confirm inscription
- download source code from, e.g. with Tigris Subversion
- operating system: any - e.g. Microsoft Windows too
- database servers: many - Centric reference is PostgreSQL
- application server: some - e.g. jBoss, but Centric reference is Apache Tomcat
- Java VM: some, depends on Application Server - e.g. Sun Java 1.5 JRE
- server integration: SMTP server (Fax, XMPP, Asterisk, LDAP)
- Dual processors or 2 cores (of any size) are recommended, as Centric CRM makes use of multi-threaded Java operations. Centric CRM is lightweight. Any server you can buy today is generally more than you’ll need. However, configure it based on the needs of your organization. If you will be supporting many simultaneous users, configure more and faster CPUs and more memory. If 100% uptime is required, a second spare server is recommended. If your organization plans to save lots of documents, increase the drive space. A single server can be used for the web server, database server, and mail server.
- A sensible server for real use might be:
A single dual core processor; 2GB RAM; Disk to suit the purpose
- This configuration is enough for all but the most serious application and will serve over 1000 users.
- IBM Notebook R51, 1GB RAM with WinXP
- DNS name: nb-mm
- (netbeans-6.0m9-full-windows.exe), where Apache Ant v1.6.2+ included
Steps for a successful installation: 1. install the *Sun Java JRE 5.0
2. install Apache Tomcat 6 stable "Core"; depending on the total memory of your system, typically set Tomcat’s memory to half of the server using Tomcat’s configuration editor
3. stop the "Apache Tomcat" service
4. change Tomcat port to 80 in server.xml, disable MS IIS working at the same port
5. (obtain and install an SSL certificate to run Centric CRM on port 443)
6. install PostgreSQL 8.1
- Standard installation steps with Wizard installer ... TODO
- Define database with UNICODE encoding
- Create database name "centric_crm"; for username "centric_crm"
- User "centric_crm" should occupy full access controll to "centric_crm" database
7. install deploy Centric CRM 8. check the system environment settings
- JAVA_HOME=path, e.g. "c:\java\jdk1.5.0_06"
- JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"
- ANT_HOME=path, e.g. "c:\Sun\AppServer\lib\ant"
- ANT_OPTS="-Xmx192m -Xms192m"
- in Tomcat's configuration editor, increase memory to 256MB
9. in working source code directory, copy home.properties.example to home.properties
10. edit home.properties
- Map CATALINA_HOME to the Tomcat base directory, e.g. "c:/Tomcat 6.0"
- Map CENTRIC_HOME to "centric" in Tomcat's webapps directory, e.g. "c:/Tomcat 6.0/webapps/centric"
- Map CENTRIC_FILELIBRARY to a directory outside of Tomcat that will be used for storing Centric CRM data, e.g. "c:/Tomcat 6.0/webapps/centric/WEB-INF/fileLibrary"
11. run "ant deploy" to initialize the configuration paths and files
12. ant will instruct you to modify "build.properties" in the CENTRIC_FILELIBRARY path
13. make sure to read the instructions in build.properties and make sure to configure and uncomment one of the database connection types
- uncomment PROPERTIES=configured line when finished making changes
14. run "ant deploy" to compile and install Centric CRM
15. run "ant installdb" to install the Centric CRM database
16. start Tomcat
17. using a browser navigate to the deployed Centric CRM for additional configuration options - populate webapps/centric (1st time use of Centric CRM web-application)
- choose a language to continue: Deutsch
- registration, new licence request or restore from existing backup - you obtain license key sent per e-mail
- configuration in next 4 following steps:
I. Setup the file library * Target Directory: path, e.g. C:\CentricCRM\fileLibrary II. Setup external servers (mail, fax) * Time Zone: GMT+1 * Language/Locale: Deutsch * Country: AUSTRIA * Currency: EUR * Email Server: ... * Email Address: ... * Server URL: ..., e.g. nb-mm/centric * (LDAP Server - none) * (Asterisk Server - none) * (XMPP Server - none) * (Fax - none) 1. Setup the database * Type of Database: PostgreSQL * IP address: 127.0.0.1 * Database Port: 5432 * Database Name: centric_crm * Database Username: centric_crm * Database Password: ..., e.g. centric_crm 1. Setup the Centric CRM administrative user account * Create administrator user 1. Compile JSPs 1. browser navigate, login and start to work