A regular meetup of people interested in DevOps.
DevOps is kind of a new sysadmin buzzword for ways to close the gap between software development and operations; it's what happens when agile development spreads to the server room. We meet to discuss culture, processes, tools and trends that contribute to this field.
There is a mailing list for announcements and discussions.
Mon., 2011-10-24, 19:00, Metalab Library
- Tier1 Hardware (Dell, HP, IBM) show & tell Michael
- We're going to look at a Dell R200, HP DL380G5 as well as a IBM x3650 M3 and see how they fare in regards of Hardware Maintenance, configuration, out of band management and general pain points.
- What hardware should I get anyways? General thoughts on performance evaluation, capacity planning, daily operations and other pitfalls.
Presentation/topic propositions for future
If you have something to present, discuss, show, or ask around about, but don't want to commit to a date yet – here's the place to do it. If you want to hear about something specific, add it here too - maybe there's someone here who can tell about it.
- A comparative analysis of Linux HA Solutions by Bernhard Miklautz
- Tier1 hardware - what is it good for after all? (Comparing the workhorse products from HP, IBM and Dell) - Michael Renner
- Agile Methods and DevOps - Scrum Teams and Operations (Tony)
A list of all users for quick reference
- Maciej Pasternacki AKA japhy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Michael Renner <email@example.com> - More info (blog et al) on my userpage
- Hannes Schaller <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Stefan Schlesinger <email@example.com>
- Oskar M. Grande <musha68kBRACKETAPEgmailPUNKTcom>
- David Gabriel <b2c AT dest-unreachable net>
- Christian Hofstädtler <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Tobias Dostal <email@example.com>
- Lukas Fittl <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- ... you? :>
- Automated installation & configuration
- Deployment and control
- Capistrano Remote multi-server automation tool (deployment)
- MCollective Framework to build server orchestration or parallel job execution systems
- Vertebra  Another job execution system, XMPP-based
- ControlTier cross-platform build and deployment automation framework (job automation / infrastructure orchestration)
- Continuous Integration & Testing
- Documenting infrastructure
- Interpreter "sandboxes"
- git-flow, a successful branching model – japhy
- Bullshit Bingo: Cloud strategies (how to make cloud work for you) - japhy
- Monitoring systems, capacity planning, trending, etc. discussion
- NexentaCore 3 ZFS Presentation & Workshop - David Gabriel
- What's new in Perl 5.14? (Daxim)
- Opscode-hosted Chef stuff demo: cookbook repository, platform, … (japhy)
- Time management - basic ideas – japhy (based on the Time Management for System Administrators book)
- The Foreman - cyberkov, Provisioning and external Node classification for Puppet (Presentation from FOSDEM)
- Mongrel2 introduction by Lukas Fittl
- Grml fly-by by Christian Hofstädtler (slides)
- Plat_forms - The web development platform comparison
- A 10 minute PostgreSQL crash course including Q&A for operations-relevant Stuff - Michael
- A hopefully short and functional live presentation of my company's infrastructure User:b2c
- Overview: puppet+dashboard, vmware, storage
- live server deployment
- automated tests
- Free talk, show&tell, …
2010-11-23 Bootstrap meeting
- WTF devops? (lightning talk, japhy)
- WTF this meetup? (discussion)
- Achieving Fully Automated Provisioning (whitepaper review and discussion, japhy, sauce: http://blog.controltier.com/2009/04/new-whitepaper-achieving-fully.html and http://dev2ops.org/blog/2009/11/2/6-months-in-fully-automated-provisioning-revisited.html)